It started as a glimpse of the pond in mid-summer with just a few lily pads and some reflections, but I got carried away. I couldn’t resist putting in more, then more, until I had the whole staged setting, the Diva, and her back-up singers. Well, that’s how I think of them. Each lily at the pond seems to want to tell a story, and while I can only posit a fraction of what that story could be, it is fun to speculate. Details below. Enjoy!
Technical painting notes: I first rolled a layer of blue-black then greenish black oil paint onto the panel, as one would with a monoprint, then used a plastic bag to push the paint around and create textures. Highlights were wiped out, and I selectively sprayed solvent and blotted to create more drips. I wanted the painting to “feel” wet since the subject ‘s environment was all water. I used a silicone scraper to indicate some of the edges of the lily pads, brushing a paper towel across the lines to soften them. When this stage was dry, I followed up with many layers of glaze to modulate the colors. From this point on, I switched to using a very soft watercolor wash brush so that I could blend areas of color seamlessly (a thin layer of Liquin, brushed on at the start of each day’s work, sped up drying times and facilitated the handling of soft edges). Some direct painting techniques were used to define the flowers, and the ripples and pads.
This is beautiful, so soft and meditative. love it.
Thank you Mary Jane.
A lovely aria by Dame Lily Pond.
Wonderful! Someday I hope to be able to capture a pond scene as well and as beautifully as you do!!!
Practice, practice, practice and look look look. As long as you are enjoying painting, and learning more as you go, all is well. Thank you for your kind encouragement.
Gorgeous painting style and composition. I love that this suggests a beginning … with promise of full blooms.
When I was deciding to tone down all the colors and “go for the gray” it seemed important to keep an optimistic note.