It’s early May and I’m pleased to announce that George, my mallard pal, is back! With the new duckweed coming in, and not too much competition, he seems quite content. I couldn’t resist painting him in his favorite haunt. Actually, it was a fun painting from beginning to end, but best of all was saying hi to George, and saluting him with a (small) portrait. Maybe later in the season, when he’s used to me again, he’ll let me get closer and I can do a larger painting of him. Details below. Enjoy!
Technical painting notes: I started with a rolled dark green and violet-infused burnt umber, into which I scraped away branches, spritzed with solvent and blotted, pushed the paint around with plastic (dipped in oil and solvent), then repeated the process the next day to get a richer textural background. The rest was mostly a matter of direct painting with semi-transparent pigments and lots of glazing, plus a little bit of pressed texture into the wet glaze in the thicket.
Love your work. I find your details just as interesting as the whole!
Thank you. I like a painting that is “interesting everywhere”, that rewards both stepping back and coming closer.